Carlisle’s Sure-Seal Pressure-Sensitive (PS) 3"- or 6"-wide SecurTAPE offers uniform width and adhesive thickness and features a clear poly fi lm for ease of application. SecurTAPE delivers 30% greater peel strength and 32% greater shear strength than other tapes on the market. Designed for use with Carlisle’s fully adhered, metal retrofi t, ballasted, and mechanically fastened roofi ng systems, SecurTAPE is used in conjunction with Carlisle’s HP-250 or Low-VOC Primers to bond EPDM membranes together in the field, providing long-term splice strength.
Features and Benefits
- Available in 3" x 100' and 6" x 100' rolls
- Manufactured using a clear poly fi lm
- Provides excellent long-term splice strength
- Offers greater peel and shear strength than other tapes available in today’s marketplace
1. Overlap the EPDM membranes a minimum 3" or 6" (75 or 150mm) to coincide with the SecurTAPE width. Stagger factory seams on dusted EPDM to avoid a double thickness of membrane.
2. The entire membrane surface where SecurTAPE will be applied must be clean and free of any residual mica dust or dirt. SecurTAPE will not adhere to dusted or dirty surfaces.
a. Remove loose mica dust by brooming or wiping with a clean, dryrag or HP Splice Wipe.
b.The use of Weathered Membrane Cleaner is recommended to allow for roller application of the primer and to enhance adhesion. This process is required on membrane that has been exposed for a number of weeks. Permeation-resistant gloves meeting ANSI/ISEA 105-2005 are required for hand protection when cleaners or primers are being used.
c. Allow the Weathered Membrane Cleaner to fl ash-off before
3.Mark the bottom sheet with a crayon approximately ¼" (6mm) beyond the edge of the top sheet as a guide to install the
4.Application of HP-250 or Low-VOC Primer
a. Dusted Membrane – After removing the loose mica as noted above, scrub the primer onto the membrane with a clean HP
Splice Wipe in a circular motion achieving a thin and even coat that is uniform in color and free of streaks or heavy spots.
Change Splice Wipes often.
b. Pre-Kleened™Membrane or membrane cleaned with Weathered Membrane Cleaner - Roller-apply the primer to the membrane
with a 3⁄8" (9mm) medium nap paint roller achieving a thin and even coat that is uniform in color and free of streaks or heavy
c. Allow the primer to fl ash-off until it does not transfer to a dry finger touch. Do not allow the primer to over dry.
d.Install SecurTAPE shortly after the primer flashes off to maximize bond strength and minimize potential dust contamination.
5. Unroll 3' (1 m) of SecurTAPE aligning the tape with the set marks. Use firm and even hand pressure to press the tape down to bottom
sheet along the length of the splice. Overlap tape roll ends 1" (25mm). A continuous piece of SecurTAPE must be used at all factory
seams and field splice intersections. Pressure-Sensitive SecurTAPE™ Rolling the SecurTAPE with a 2"-wide hand roller after application to the primed substrate will reduce the frequency of air blisters in the completed field seam.
6. Rolling the SecurTAPE with a 2"-wide hand roller after application to the primed substrate will reduce the frequency of air blisters in the completed field seam.
7.Allow the top sheet to fall freely onto the poly backing. Ensure that a minimum of 1⁄8" (3 mm) to a maximum of ½" (12 mm) of
tape extends beyond the top membrane edge. Trim membrane if necessary.
8. Pull the poly backing off at a 45 degree angle and use firm handpressure across the splice towards the outside splice edge mating
the top sheet onto the SecurTAPE.
9. Immediately roll across the splice with a 2"-wide roller applying positive pressure.
10. Lap Seal at cut edges of reinforced membrane and splice tape overlaps. Lap Sealant may be applied immediately following the
completion of a SecurTAPE splice.
11. Cold weather installation requirements when temperatures fall below 40°F (5°C):
a. Heat the primed area of the bottom membrane as the SecurTAPE is applied and pressed into place.
b. The tape must be rolled with a 2"-wide hand roller prior to removal of the release liner when temperatures fall below 20°F
c. Prior to rolling the splice area with a 2"-wide hand roller, apply heat to the topside of the membrane with a hot-air gun. The
heated surface should be hot to the touch.
12. Techniques when using large sheets with factory seam step-offs.
a. Remove excess mica dust from the factory seam step-off using extra care and utilize extra scrubbing of the primer into the
b. Crease the SecurTAPE into the factory seam step-off with the edge of the hand roller and then crease the top membrane into
the step-off after setting the top membrane.